As the only professional equity theatre in Roanoke Valley, Mill Mountain Theatre feels a special responsibility for training the next generation of artists and building an appreciation of the art form in the next generation of audiences.
MMT’s Summer Internship Program is designed to provide students interested in pursuing a career in theatre with the opportunity to gain hands-on experience at a professional theatre company. Please note – internships are unpaid, but participants are given access to free masterclasses with industry professionals, in addition to shadowing rehearsals for summer productions. Internships are primarily focused in Theatre Education, Technical Theatre, and Theatre Administration. Application Deadline is April 22nd, 2019.
Based on the Intern’s strengths, interests, and abilities:
- Teaching Assistant in Summer Camps and/or Outreach Workshops
- Run the Book Table for touring performances of Peter Rabbit Tale
- Assist in the Scenic, Costume, and Prop Shops
- Serve as run crew backstage for Next To Normal and Little Mermaid JR
- Assist in administration and education offices as needed
Those interested in applying must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current High School or College Student
- Submit Summer Internship Application at https://goo.gl/forms/QdkkTy4Bbhbu4XvE3
- Include a 100-200 word ‘Personal Statement’ about what you hope to learn this summer at MMT
- Include your Resume with education and additional work experience
Prospective Interns may be requested to partake in a brief interview with Education Staff. This interview may be conducted by phone or in person.
The intern schedule is flexible and may shift from week to week, depending on what department the student is assigned. Sunday will typically be the day-off.
The Summer Internship begins May 28 and runs through the month of June. Please include any conflicts you have for this time frame on your Application.
*If interested, interns may continue during the month of July and August as requested.
Application Deadline is April 22nd, 2019.
“My experience as an MMT intern was amazing! I learned so much about the theatre as a whole, which I have benefited from as both an actor and an artist. During the summer, I had the opportunities to work in the costume and scene shops, assistant stage manage Spring Awakening, help teach masterclasses to summer school children, and help with the touring production of A Year With Frog And Toad, to name a few. This deepened my love of the theatre, and allowed me learn so many diverse skills. I can’t think of a better way to have spent my summer!”
-Olivia, Intern 2018